The Berkshire Archaeology Research Group (BARG) is a voluntary group dedicated to investigating the archaeology of the county of Berkshire. The Group welcomes anybody who is interested in archaeology.
BARG take an interest in uncovering evidence for human activity in the Royal County across a broad period from prehistoric times right through to the post-medieval and modern periods.
This website contains details of the group's projects and other activities and provides details of how to join the group.
The Berkshire Archaeology Research Group has:
- A programme of research into the archaeology of Berkshire. You can find details of this programme in the project pages of this web site.
- A programme of quarterly meetings and visits. Further details are available on the Calendar pages.
- Lectures about Berkshire archaeology which are offered to societies, groups and schools. Further details are available in the About BARG section.
- Capabilities to carry out archaeological work. These are offered to local history and heritage groups and societies. Further details are available in the About BARG section.
- As part of its research programme BARG offers volunteers the opportunity to try out a wide range of archaeological techniques including excavation, fieldwalking, geophysics, finds analysis, hedgerow surveying, earthwork surveying, building surveying and documentary research.
The Group welcomes new members, so, if you are interested in archaeology and would like to do some field work, please contact us. The membership form can be found here.
Details of one of our recent projects, excavating a series of Roman sites at Boxford in partnership with the Boxford History Group and Cotswold Archaeology can be found here and here. This project disovered the Boxford Bellerophon mosaic in August 2017. An article about the project appeared in Issue 333 of Current Archaeology and can be read online here. The project has been nominated by Current Archaeology for the 'Research Project of the Year 2018' – see the voting page here.
STOP PRESS: the talk by Anthony Beeson on the Boxford Mosaic has been rescheduled from Saturday 3rd March to Sunday 4th March – the time and location remains the same (7pm, Boxford Village Hall).
Site History: This site was updated on 2nd March 2018.